One of the courses that was trialed last year (2014) was the Algebra Level 3 course designed by Edexcel. It is intended to bridge the algebra gap between GCSE and A level content. Having trialed it with a small group of high ability students, the majority of whom are now studying A level Mathematics, their view on the benefits is detailed below:
- Improved confidence of higher algebra within GCSE which enabled them to secure their best grade.
- Gave them an insight into more challenging and abstract algebra to make a more informed decision on whether to continue onto A level Mathematics.
- Starting at a more secure point within the first core module.
- More confidence amongst their peers who did not extend their studies at GCSE.
- An increased passion in the subject.
This year (2015) this course will be used to primarily boost confidence and hence the final attainment within a whole class at GCSE.
This is the contents of this course which will consume one term: Algebra Level 3 Overview